There is an article receiving relatively wide circulation within various bald websites, including the BaldMan’s Homepage, along with the newsgroup alt.baldspot. The article relates the really unpleasant experience the writer should have had with half wigs, and it also relates the horror story of the sort of system that he or she is familiar. As a famous politician often says, “I feel your pain”. HOWEVER, I feel I have to write in rebuttal from the broad conclusion of the other writer. His conclusion is, simply stated, that hairpieces/systems/toupees, etc., are rip-offs sold by unscrupulous people and they all look bad and that they are humiliating/embarrassing/confining/hard-to-care-for, etc., etc., etc. Those conclusions are NOT valid, as the level of piece being written about for the reason that article, the “permanently attached” kind typified by Hairclub males, may not be worn by greater than 10-20% of the hairpiece-wearing public.
Therefore, in defense of countless of thousands of hairpiece-wearing men, I would like to discuss all the points raised within the article in question:
1) much is made of the “hairpieces worn by actors”. I don’t believe this has any bearing on anything. It’s not true that actors that have hairpieces are then an army of stylists, and so i don’t accept that it’s true their hairpieces look any better or worse than most people. Would any kind of us desire to be found in a hairpiece like Sam Donaldson’s???
2) The standard person could only afford an off-the-shelf kind of hairpiece, which means “shedding, fading, no swimming, hardly any other strenuous sports”. OK. I wear an off-the-shelf kind of hairpiece. Occasionally I get a custom-made one, and occasionally a “stock” piece once the color match is ideal for mine. I’ll address all the so-called deficiencies:
a) Shedding. No such thing!! I pay about $500 for any hairpiece and I keep for about two years. In this time (and incidentally, I’ve been wearing a hairpiece since i have was 23 years, which happens to be 32 years!!) I have not had a shedding problem, whether the piece was human or artificial. Perhaps if I had kept a piece longer I would have, and if you have a shedding problem, hair may be added. It’s no biggie.
b) Fading. The newer synthetic pieces, that happen to be all I buy now, have not given me any fading problems at all. I have done have one human piece who had a fading problem, but out from what exactly is probably an overall of 16 hairpieces, I don’t think that’s too bad an average, you will find, that does include a great deal of outdoor exposure.
c) You definitely CAN swim and play sports within your hairpiece. We have SNORKELED in mine (but you DO have to be mindful when removing the snorkel mask!). I bike inside it, I swim within it, and so i do anything I want inside. (Yes, I have done lose one out of the ocean once, yet, after 32 years, that’s not a bad average). It genuinely irritates me to discover the statement that regarding sunning, swimming, skiing, that “every wig/system wearer knows that these activities are only a dream”. That’s an outrageous statement so totally false it really illustrates the issue with objectivity within the whole article.
3) Now i want to address what exactly is presented like a REAL horror story, the
question of ATTACHMENT!!! I can speak no more than the conventional kind of hairpiece that I have always worn, not the Hairclub males type. Permit me to say on this site which i have never liked the Hairclub concept, and i also don’t like the thought of the semi-permanent attachment; but, I actually do know those people who are very happy because of their Hairclub system. So, I’m not implementing a stand concerning this which I know nothing personal (perhaps this is a sensible practice for people?? hint…hint…) Anyway, as i got my first piece I still had some hair on the top, and i also would not permit the barber shave it well. So, to the first a long period I applied my piece with tape over the hair, you will find, I had to be careful taking it away, or I would personally be saying OUCH a lot. Alas, after a few years that remaining hair was gone, and from the time, I have used the conventional double sided hairpiece tape to attach the piece to my head. My head is just not shaved, super glue is just not applied, and also the piece fails to stay on for 3-four weeks!!!! It appears off every night, and that i wash my head along with other appropriate areas of the body within the shower!! My head has NEVER been shaved, and no track has ever been made. I have got never used clips or weaving, only occasionally glue (NOT super glue, acrylic hairpiece glue, which you can place on the tape to extend its life).
4) The wind can be your enemy. If you sweat of when it rains it seems ratty.
Well, should you put your tape on right, it’s awfully hard for that wind for taking
your piece off. Mine has never appear from the wind. Doesn’t your hair of several people look ratty in sweat or rain? Needless to say it can! Are we being OVER sensitive here? Personally I believe sometimes my windblown hair looks natural than ever before!
5) OK, I will concede the purpose that you need to be mindful about people
running their fingers through it!
6) You will find a real sensation of paranoia about being “busted” (that may be
spotted) or discovered like a hairpiece-wearer, etc. Well, this really is a very
personal thing and everybody, I suppose, reacts differently. I assume I have got a great humorousness about this. My pals kid with me regarding it, and so they realize it doesn’t bother me. Do any one of you kid friends that are short? Or chubby? Or possess a funny accent? People, should you can’t laugh at yourself, it’s very sad. The spottability of the piece will probably vary very widely, and if you take care of your piece and put it on right, and if you pick it with an excellent color match, most people will not likely spot it!! And do you know why? As most people aren’t considering hairpieces!!!!
7) The subsequent part regarding the salesmen in their fancy hairpieces for men, as well as their memorized spiels along with their fancy brochures and the like, I cannot comment on whatsoever because in all of the my 32 numerous years of buying hairpieces I have got NEVER, Been inside a place that way. I have bought each one of my hairpiece from a barber shop! Once I have moved to a new city, I actually have looked within the classifieds under hair replacement, or wigs, and selected a barber shop. In each case the things i have performed is to demand a scheduled visit to go about hairpieces. If the appointed time arrives, invariably it will probably be after regular hours or I will be used to your private room within the back. There the barber shows me samples of the type of hairpiece he sells, to have a concept of the type of base, the type of hair construction, etc., etc. Within just one instance has the barber himself worn a hairpiece? I have not had to sign a contract or any other document. OK, if I am purchasing a custom-made piece, a mold in the head is created much as described from the article (except Reynolds makes Aluminum foil, it can be SARAN plastic wrap). Anyway, that mold is manufactured and also the snipped of hair is taken (will be all this big problem???) Contributing to 4-six or seven weeks later, the hairpiece arrives. I get in as well as the barber takes about 30-45 minutes to “cut it in”. That is certainly, he puts it on my head. At this stage it has WAY too much hair and thus he cuts and styles it to my liking. That’s that! Poof! Now currently initially in my life I got myself 2 hairpieces at once (because there had been a discount on the second piece). Previously I only had one “good” piece (although Normally i save 1 or 2 old ones in the case of emergency or if perhaps I want to wear a well used a person to the beach, or whatever). So, with one good piece, I simply shampoo it as needed, 1-2 times monthly based on weather, etc. It’s again, Not really a big issue. I shampoo it within the sink with regular shampoo, put it on its Styrofoam head with a towel over it for about 45 minutes, i then style it using a dryer and it’s all ready to go. The entire process takes about 1 hr. to 1.5 hours, and might be performed quicker if needed. Now with two pieces, I always use a nicely cleaned one styled and able to wear. You will find no extra hundreds of dollars, no monthly maintenance costs. None of the fuss and bother which has been so graphical described elsewhere. Now, the remainder of the ‘other article’ is committed to the writer’s paranoia about being “spotted”. I’m not going there again, because while i mentioned above, it is a very personal thing, not merely with all the the fear of being spotted however with the kind of piece worn, etc. Also i can’t discuss motorcycle riding and his awesome not being able to accomplish that along with his system, but when again he says he couldn’t swim, and that is Certainly Not TRUE with the level of hairpiece most of us wear. I am convinced that that greater part of people do not go around attempting to spot hairpieces, which fears of exposure are greatly exaggerated. However, I personally believe I so detest my un-wigged head that even when some individuals see the rug, for me that is preferable to my un-wigged head being spotted by ALL.
Only a few more rebuttals:
-Other article states that “anyone who really has experience with
wig/systems and it has nothing to gain financially will never recommend one being a viable answer to your hair loss problem”. People: I have got 32 years’ knowledge about a hairpiece, We have NOTHING to gain financially, and so i DO RECOMMEND ONE Like A VIABLE SOLUTION TO Your Hair LOSS PROBLEM.
-Other article says “wig/systems are just not the answer. Many in these new groups (sic) will attempt to inform you they may be. Be mindful of those news bearers. People: I am just not here to inform you that a hairpiece is or is not the best solution for yourself. Only you may choose that. I am just taking the time to post using this method-too-long 07dexqpky because I am just annoyed by the volume of misinformation within the other article and then in ITS purpose to discourage anyone from considering a hairpiece. Whether or not is designed for you, is that you should decide, but IT IS A VIABLE ALTERNATIVE that deserves consideration.
And ultimately, the “other article” says, “be wary of anyone who tells you
that wigs/systems are the ideal solution. They are usually naive those who lack a great deal of the information contained herein”. Again, I defy anybody to assert I am naive or lack most of the knowledge contained herein. I’ll only concede some time, as pointed out above. I don’t like the very idea of HCM and would not go that route, but it’s not fair to make use of that to damn all aliexpress lace front wigs.